Sunday, December 16, 2007

a generous spirit

Lol, i was just gonna comment on gabe's post, but then i thought i might as well make another post, since we could use more activity here.. ><

Anyways, Yea! I was just reading 1 tim. and paul stresses money, along with false doctrine, that would lead people astray.. Its scary to think how one of our weaknesses could drive us to do really really bad and really damaging and hurtful things.. like get our friend crucified. I think money affects us all more than we think. I dont really think of myself as a materialistic person (compared to you Gabe lollll jk)(though maybe i should), yet I am struggling ALOT in seeing just how witholding I am in my heart with my possessions. If not to people, than just to God an unwillingness to assign myself fully to His tasks. Really, just a lack of generosity in my heart.

i was reading luke 6 (not sure if its parallel to sermon on mount, but its similar), and the application of being in the kingdom is not to read your bible more, but to give! Give to everyone who begs from you (ch6:30). Thats intense!! Jesus is saying that a regenerated heart is characterized by one who is generous. Buying someone a coffee may fool my ego into thinking I am generous, but when i hear stories of people giving their entire fortunes for missions or to the church, I ask myself what it is that prevents my heart from doing the same. And i know its not just responsibility and stewardship of money that explains it. I could say its the Chinese blood running through me (and be partially right), but really its just sin. its my selfish heart

And why can we be generous? theres the sense in Jesus' sermon that nothing on earth binds us any longer; we are no longer held captive by lusts of the world; desiring things of the earth. I'm no longer storing up for things here. We are FREE, to be non-withholding of our possessions and money. I think v.35 unifies it somewhat, "But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and evil." It combines the spirit, with the action, with the eternal reward we seek in heaven.

It's like Jesus is saying, "How can you be poor in spirit, but withholding of money!?" humble people are not greedy people. It's no coincidence that Jesus talks about spiritual faith and bankruptcy, and then doing good to others, because they are directly related.

Spiritual dependence, then, is not purely spiritual, because it affects how you think and live in all areas of your life. So if I am to be spiritually dependent, it means I must submit to God all other areas of my life. It also means I must give.

Also.. this made me think that I need to look more intensely at Christ, b/c all human role models we have are far too worldly as well, lol..

anyways. whoever reads this.. pray for me please. I want to be like Christ.

oh, and pray for Gabe too, he still buys too much random asian figurine crap... ;)

2 comments:

Gabe said...

interesting that you bring up your "chinese" culture-ness. this may be another post in itself, but yea, i agree with you. in the kingdom of God there shouldn't be something called being "Chinese" and therefore being stingy and selfish. Sure, we should take on the idea of being economical, but for the purpose that we should give more, not so that we can horde all of our money! but yea, i guess for me, i spend without thinking moreso than withholding it. haha we can learn from each other, can't we Jon. x) thanks for building on how we can not be lovers of money!

Will.i.am said...

"oh, and pray for Gabe too, he still buys too much random asian figurine crap... ;)"

HAHAHA, you guys are funny. good post mang, yeh it definitely isnt abt just saving your money and being stingy...but to also give without ever thinking abt any return, cause we have it ALL.